That is my son, Jody. He’s home from college and I am thrilled to share the kitchen with him. I had a big week of cooking for a couple of parties and to prepare for the Walloomsac Farmers’ Market Holiday Market in Bennington this weekend. There was a LOT of buttercream to prepare and it meant incorporating butter into 24 egg whites & sugar, one tablespoon at a time. I really enjoyed having company and he was able to listen to his pod-casts while assisting. It was a win-win situation as well as he admitted that the job was quite delicious.
I got the notion that in addition to the 25 fruit pies I was selling at the market, Buche de Noels would be festive to offer. I get a kick out of making them once a year and they are also a feast for my eyes: they are as whimsical as they are decadent. I tuned in my Holiday Playlist and then pulled out the old “Joy of Cooking.” I found my favorite recipe, tied on an apron and baked dark chocolate genoise layers, cooked simple syrup and assembled amazing ingredients into sinful buttercream. I had a great time arranging and decorating lovely little logs to fill my kitchen and then my table at the market.
Turns out the tricky part was finding the proper containers for their transport. They want to be handled quite carefully so as not to disturb the “bark” and little merengue mushrooms. (By the way, making merengue mushrooms is equally enchanting.) I decided that inserting a wax sheet of paper into the re-cycled spinach containers would make it easier for the customers to lift their desserts out with the least amount of destruction. The customers’ reactions were positive, and so as I type, I hope that they are bringing as much joy and satisfaction to the tables in Bennington County as they brought to my kitchen this Advent Season.
And, a final note is that this wonderful endeavor would not have happened had it not been for my hard-working flock of layer hens who, I am happy to report, are back at work after a 3.5 month vacation. Salut aux poules!
- (Non-Edible) Bûche De Noël: Yule Logs To Savor Forever (apartmenttherapy.com)
- Many say buche de Noel is ultimate holiday dessert (sfgate.com)
- Christmas Yule Log Cake (portofcopenhagenfinefoods.wordpress.com)
- Buches de Noel: Paris Yule Logs 2011 (punjapit.wordpress.com)
- Recipe: Pumpkin-Chocolate Bûche De Gratitude (craftzine.com)
- Christmas Yule log recipe from Guinness Storehouse executive chef (mirror.co.uk)
- Unique Celebratory Desserts from Different Cultures (mymodernmet.com)
- About Yule (witchesofthecraft.com)
- Low sugar genoise, v. 1 (lemonchocolatesalt.wordpress.com)
- Yule Stollen (witchesofthecraft.com)
- Yule – Winter Solstice (witchesofthecraft.com)