The Wing and a Prayer Farm animals and I took an informal poll today. We looked high and we looked low. None of us found our shadows.
So to you, Punxsutawney Phil, I say “Pshaw!” Six more weeks of winter is not rocket science. I live in Vermont and we don’t see green grass til May anyway. But I’m not going to let you rain on my parade of wishful thinking that, just maybe, the sun will warm things up a little sooner.
Jackie and Abe the English Springer Spaniels looked,
Cricket looked(well, sort of),
and Max the horse looked.
Fig the White Peacock looked,
Chanticleer the Auracana rooster looked,
and Indian Blue Runner ducks ran. (As they would run from their shadow, they really shouldn’t qualify for this poll.)
Lily the Shetland Sheep said, “There’s NO shadow, Phil!”
Patricia the Saanen/Nubian goat didn’t find her shadow,
Bean the Bunny searched (however, Bean can’t really be included in the survey because she lives indoors),
Niska the barn cat peeked,
and Wasabi the barn cat said, “I’m a way better judge of shadows than some groundhog in Pennsylvania!”
So move over, cute little groundhog, in our neck of the woods we just take it one day at a time.
- Groundhog Day 2012: Wiarton Willie, Shubenacadie Sam predict early spring; Punxsutawney Phil calls for more winter (news.nationalpost.com)
- Groundhog Day 2012: Punxsutawney Phil Sees Shadow, Predicts More Winter (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- Punxsutawney Phil sees six more weeks of winter – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Groundhog Day (stepliteelectrical.org)
- A Dead Groundhog Predicting The Weather? (washington.cbslocal.com)
- Midwest’s groundhog ‘predicts’ early spring (thegazette.com)
- Groundhog Day’s Shubenacadie Sam predicts early spring (windsorstar.com)
- Groundhog Day: Shubenacadie Sam, Wiarton Willie predict early spring (theprovince.com)