From Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins “The New Basics Cookbook”:
10 egg whites, at room temperature (I used 7 duck egg whites)
1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup cake flour
1 cup fresh raspberries (I used fresh cut up strawberries)
Raspberry Amaretto Sauce(recipe follows) (I did not make this sauce for the fresh strawberries)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer until they form soft peaks. Add the vanilla and almond extracts. Then gradually add the sugar, beating until the whites are stiff, but not dry, and shiny.
3. Sift the flour onto the egg whites and sprinkle the raspberries(I used strawberries) over the top. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the flour and berries.
4. Spoon the mixture into an ungreased 10-inch nonstick tube pan, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean, 40 minutes(We actually turned it out into two smaller tube pans so that we could share – we baked them for 25 minutes.)
5. Invert the pan onto a cake rack and let it cool completely without removing the cake from the pan. (I was taught to turn it upside down onto a narrow-necked bottle. It’s more exciting to balance it this way and I actually don’t know why you wouldn’t want a more exciting method of cooling your cakes.)
6. When the cake is cool, invert the pan onto a serving platter. Remove the pan carefully, loosening the cake slightly around the edges if necessary, and serve with the raspberry sauce.(Or, in our case, with fresh-cut strawberries & homemade whipped cream.)
Raspberry Amaretto Sauce:
2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries, thawed if frozen
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup amaretto liqueur
1. Puree the raspberries in a blender or food processor. Add the confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice, and amaretto, and continue to process until smooth.
2. Strain the sauce to remove the seeds, and serve.
1 1/2 cups